Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Thing # 12 Social Networking Sites

I explored My Space, Facebook, and Ning. I set up an account with MySpace and created a profile. I also signed up for Mesquite Librarians and Friends in Ning Network. This took much more time than I thought because there was so much to look at, navigate around, and learn about each social network.

I believe it's important for librarians to know about social networking online because it's another way to understand how students get information. If we want to know how our students learn, this is one avenue to investigate, and we need to understand how it works. I think there are possibilities for students to form study groups, book clubs, and other educational interest groups within these social networks. It was fun joining the Mesquite Librarians and Friends Ning network because I recognized friends' pictures and felt a sudden comfort I had not felt while surfing the other social sites. I'm sure that's one of the reasons social networks are so popular with kids: the recognition of friends and a need to belong.

I dislike MySpace because so many people make their private lives so public there. The same thing applies to Facebook. I liked Ning because you can set up your own network based on your interests.

2 comments:

mmw said...

Don't forget to go back and check your MySpace account. I sent you a friend request!

rileyreader said...

I've been so busy doing my "Things", I haven't had time to do any checking on my accounts! I will soon...