Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Thing #8 RSS

I like the simplicity of RSS. I certainly see how the need for RSS Readers evolved because there are too many things to look at online using just bookmarks or subscriptions. One quote I liked from our readings was, "RSS is like TIVO on your computer."

In my personal life I can see how I would use an RSS Feeder, especially to read my favorite news articles on topics I'm interested in. I don't have time to read the daily newspaper from cover to cover or the newsletters I subscribe to online. It's the same for school; if I can read RSS readers on new books (reviews) rather than going through all the publications of SLJ or Booklist, it would save so much time. I created my Google Reader and have put my shared list on this blog.

Some of our fellow librarians commented they couldn't find RSS feeds for some topics. I couldn't either until I did a Google search for RSS feeds and lots of them came up. However, most of the RSS feeds from the Google search were not interesting to me. I hope to find better ones as I work through Thing # 9.

1 comment:

VWB said...

Thanks for the kind words about the blog! and yes, Cool Cat is a great blogger to follow!