Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Thing #18 Web 2.0 Awards List

The Web 2.0 Award List was great because all the cool sites were there in one spot! Some sites were just fun, others educational, and some just helped you out in your everyday life.

What were the useful features? Some of my favorites were Judysbook showing you what is on sale and coupons available, Craigslist.org to buy and sell your belongings (a garage sale online!), Shopify.com to help you setup your own online store, and Lulu.com for publishing, selling, and marketing you own books. Of course, the mapping and list sites are useful everyday!

What did I like best? The "fun sites" were my favorites: Guess-the-Google was a great game. I liked it because my score was over 200 points! Fuzzmail was another favorite; I sent fuzz emails to several unsuspecting friends. I don't know if they liked getting the emails but I sure liked sending them.

What application could be used in the library? So many of the useful sites for the library have been discussed in previous "Things" such as Google Docs and Spreadsheets and wikis. The collaborative writing and word processing sites would be especially useful for school district libraries who didn't have the funds to purchase software...just go to these sites! The digital storage and remote access sites could also be used by school libraries who don't have the funds to purchase large servers to store all the staff and student files.

1 comment:

WebFeet said...

Cindy, it sounds like you really enjoyed working on this 'Thing'. I think your idea about districts not having enough funds to incorporate all the 'gadgets' available to us is an excellent idea in using this site.