Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Thing #19 Go with the Flow

I choose to set up accounts with Mindmeister (a mind map) and Gliffy (a flowchart) and created a mind map to plan freshmen orientation next fall. The difference between flowcharts and mind maps, in my opinion, is just the graphic appearance. Flowcharts have shapes to write your ideas in and mind maps have lines to write on. If I'm drawing my own flowchart with a pen, I like to draw them. However, if I'm typing on the computer, I would rather type on the line than in a shape. Why? I don't know; it seems easier for me. I agree with our readings that these flowcharts or mind maps benefit the creator more than the reader. Creating these is like brainstorming or thinking aloud. I think the graphic organizer, Inspiration, is easier to use with classroom instruction.

After creating a mind map in Mindmeister, I wanted to make a link to the page and post it here. However, I discovered Gliffy and Mindmeister only lets you save it to a file or email it. So, if you would like to see my mind map about how I will plan freshmen orientation next fall, let me know and email it to you!

2 comments:

mmw said...

I'd love to see your mindmap for orientation!

happylibrarian said...

Happylibrarian would love to see it too! I liked MindMeister much more than Gliffy and yes, I think it is because of the space vs. line thing. When I used flow charts to give science notes to my students, I now realize I was using a form that worked well for me. I just think graphic organizers are so much better than old-fashioned outlines.