Thursday, January 10, 2008

Thing #21 Podcasts

It was interesting to learn the differences between podcasts and audio files; I wasn't sure I understood before I went through the discovery exercise. Now I do! I also didn't know there were so many podcast directories or so many podcasts available for download. After looking through the directories listed, I found Podcast.net the easiest for me to work with. I liked the way the homepage was set up. There were major categories listed, but not too many on a page. I was immediately drawn to the "Travel" category, clicked on it, and to my amazement, there were sound tour guides of my favorite place in the whole world: Venice! Without hesitation I clicked on the tour and found it easy to place in my Google Reader. Wow! It went right in, and I then put it in my "shared" group. Miraculously, it popped into my blog...I can't believe it. This is getting easier all the time. I must be learning something here.

I invite you to look under "My Shared Items" and click on The Islands of Venice, Sound Guides Venice. It will download to your computer. As you open it, there will be an introduction, and then you will hear a woman with a lovely British accent telling you all about the islands around Venice.

I know the exercise asked us to find library podcasts, and I did find several good ones. I searched with the keyword "children's books" and found Book Voyages, a group of podcasts about children's literature featuring reviews and interviews with children's authors. I particularly liked the interview with Peg Kehret, one of my favorite children's authors. I tried downloading it, but it was taking so long I finally stopped it.

What a great way to share podcasts; just put them in Google Reader and have the reader share them in your blog!

1 comment:

mmw said...

In the district staff meeting today, Dr. Henrie mentioned that she had been listening to some podcasts by Alan November about using technology in education. You might want to look for these also.